Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hose-R-We

Because I told the doctor that my feet have been swelling, he gave me a prescription for compression hose. I guess I thought compression hose was something that went in a car. "It needs an oil change, and, while you're at it, you better check the compression hose." Any way, I went to be fitted for them this morning, and despite the rain, I enjoyed myself. The woman who sized me up is Jim Reed's sister. Jim also has MS, and I met him a couple years ago when we were both swimming at the YMCA, and he got me involved in the local MS support group.

Confidentiality rules are necessary, of course, but they can be strange. The measuring this morning took about five minutes, but we spent almost a half hour talking about MS - I talked about my experiences, and she talked about Jim's. Then, as I was getting ready to leave, I told her to say 'hi' to Jim. She couldn't do that, she said, because she couldn't tell him that she saw me for the fitting, although she had spend a lot of time telling me quite a bit about Jim.

PUN ALERT: Yesterday, I got a text from Russ which I think must have been intended for someone else. I felt as if I was suddenly in the middle of a conversation I hadn't previously been a part of. Russ was upset that so many people don't seem to know the difference between 'abridged' and 'unabridged.' That led me to think about the time years ago when Simon and Garfunkel realized their song was too long to fit on a 45, and they had to abridge Over Troubled Water. Thinking back now, I believe the person who discovered the time problem was a valley girl, who told them, "You're going to have to like abridge Over Troubled Water.
I'm pretty sure this is a sign of an underused mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Did I Put the Damn Thing

Russ called Sunday mornin g to ask if I needed anything from Publix. After I read off the few items on my list, he said when he got home he&...