Thursday, June 30, 2016

Laundry Day Uplift



The words “turkey ala king” on the dinner menu here at the old folks’ home made me queasy. Maybe that isn’t the right word. I don’t have a violent dislike for the stuff. It has never made me sick, but it is boring. What if I fall asleep and my face ends up in the fowl concoction?

After a moment or two of shallow thought, I decided that doing laundry was the more exciting option. I rummaged through the unruly mess in and around the hamper, filled a basket with dirty clothes and headed to the laundry room. Edith was there, reading a magazine while a washer went through its spin cycle.

“Doing some laundry?” she said.

“Have to. Dirty clothes are taking over the apartment.”

“Good time to do it. Everyone’s at dinner.”

I nodded and filled a washer with colors and another with whites. As those washers went into action, Edith’s spun to a halt. She took several items from the washer and laid them on her walker. She put the rest in a dryer.

“I’m going back and hang these up on the shower-curtain rod,” she said. “I’ll be back in a bit.”

Twenty minutes later, Edith pushed her walker back into the laundry room, took her clothes from the dryer, cleaned the lint trap, and said, “Have a good night.”

How could I not? Seeing Edith do her laundry, or any mundane task, is inspiring. Edith is 105.


3 Word Wednesday for June 29: Queasy, Unruly, Violent

1 comment:

  1. There are some people who sustain us - Edith is one of them - thank heavens for that

    ReplyDelete

Where Did I Put the Damn Thing

Russ called Sunday mornin g to ask if I needed anything from Publix. After I read off the few items on my list, he said when he got home he&...