Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fame Everlasting


“Two eminent scientists say the human race is likely to become extinct at its own hand within 100 years as it exhausts resources through a population explosion and unbridled consumption.”
www.earthweek.com and The Plain Dealer, June 26, 2010

Just as the beasts that have gone before us –
Like the dodo and tyrannosaurus –
We homo sapiens, some people think,
In a few decades, we’ll all be extinct.

Two scientists say that it now appears
In ninety-five, maybe one hundred years
The extra-terrestrials will commence
Referring to humans in the past tense.

So, I’m thinking if I get hopping
And find someone to print this jotting,
I’ll get my fifteen minutes from this rhyme,
Right at a quarter till the end of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Did I Put the Damn Thing

Russ called Sunday mornin g to ask if I needed anything from Publix. After I read off the few items on my list, he said when he got home he&...