Saturday, August 1, 2015

Rhyme Time






The Long, Hot Summer of ’15

Day after day the high’s above ninety,
The humidity is one-forty-four.
I’d like to say it with class and nicety,
How I can’t take this crap anymore.

But daily that damn heat-index rises
And saps my respectful vocabulary.
Heat kills the nice words, and my surmise is
What’s left will draw the constabulary.

Yes, I do try to be understanding
Of Mother Nature’s mysterious ways.
Yet, on days when I’m out standing
In Sol’s searing, sultry scorching rays,

It is difficult to keep a civil tongue,
And polite chatting is impossible.
Within seconds, I have burst a lung
Shouting words and curses reprehensible.

As Grandma said, “It’s hotter than Hades.”
One moment outside, and I turn to an ember,
Wishing for a day with the high in the eighties,
Which I beginning to think will come this November.

The Squirrelly Squirrel

Darting and dashing, the squirrelly squirrel
Loves scampering among the trees
He climbs the oak, then with a twirl
Darting and dashing, the squirrely squirrel
Zooms on down, gives his tail a whirl,
Eats his acorns, and enjoys the breeze.
Darting and dashing, the squirrelly squirrel
Loves scampering among the trees.

I Scream

I really need to have ice cream,
Even just some plain vanilla,
Though rocky road would make me beam.
I really need to have ice cream,
If I don’t get it, I will scream,
I crave it down to my patella.
I really need to have ice cream,
Even just some plain vanilla.


The Flower Lady

Dressed for the weather, in cap and shorts,
The lady tends her garden.
Coaxing, cajoling plants of all sorts
In her haven from life’s noisy din.

The beauty is shared by everyone
Who happens to wander by.
There beneath the blazing sun,
The blooms adorn the earth and sky.

Oh, the lovely flowers cast a spell,
A wondrous sight that glows and glows.
It’s a miracle to me, who cannot tell
A low country hydrangea from a rose.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Did I Put the Damn Thing

Russ called Sunday mornin g to ask if I needed anything from Publix. After I read off the few items on my list, he said when he got home he&...