Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Notes from the Home - November 27, 2012



   A word of caution in Saturday’s Ledger-Enquirer, “Friendly reminder: You should eat your Thanksgiving leftovers within four days.” Russ and Karen let me share in their Thanksgiving feast. They live in a second-floor apartment, the building does not have an elevator, and I don’t do stairs. So they brought the turkey, stuffing, asparagus, corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and pies to me; a delicious meal. A plate piled high with leftovers sat in my refrigerator until noon Friday. After a quick stop in the microwave, the Thanksgiving meal was every bit as delicious the second time. Who needs friendly reminders from the Ledger-Enquirer?
   The best part of Thanksgiving wasn’t the food, it was the visit. Even Molly, who is a dachshund of either the toy or miniature variety, makes herself at home here in B-116. Russ showed me how the modern aspiring magazine illustrator checks out prospective markets. Rather than walk over to the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble, where he works and receives a hefty discount on his purchases, or sending a few bucks to the publisher for a sample copy, Russ downloaded an app for Cricket magazine and received one free issue. For the benefit of his father, he flipped through the pages of that issue on his I-pad, occasionally saying things like, “I could do that.” I’m hardly an unbiased observer, but, yes he could, and he could do it better. After our meal, we took a walk around the Covenant Woods complex. The day was gorgeous, warm and sunny, and there were enough squirrels out and about to keep Molly entertained. A delightful day from start to finish.
  
   Black Friday was a busy day. After rousing myself, I did the Los Angeles Times and USA Today crosswords on line, made oatmeal for breakfast, and then adjourned to the laundry room. I like doing the laundry early in the morning because I’m the only one there. It’s not that I don’t appreciate company, but, in the words of the old commercial, “Mother, please, I’d rather do it myself.” So often, the residents who see me stumbling around in the laundry room want to help. They are wonderfully kind people. Any one of them could unload four or five dryers in the time it takes me to unload one. But, if I don’t insist on doing the things I can do – no matter how ineptly I do them – the list of things I can no longer do will grow much faster than it should. Besides, I’m twenty years or more younger than most of the people who offer to help. I might be the one most likely to fall in the laundry room, but I’m also the one least likely to incur lasting injuries from a fall.
   Moments after I’d stowed my clean underwear in the dresser, the phone rang. It was Penelope, wondering if I had time to deliver a notice from door to door. Time I’ve got, and off I went with a stack of papers. Along the way, Judy, one of the housekeepers, dragged a vacuum cleaner out of a room and put it on her cart.
   “Are you doing double duty today to make up for being off yesterday?” I asked.
   “No,” she said. “I did my Thursday rooms earlier this week. So, I’m regular today.”
   The effect of housework on regularity troubled me all weekend.
   “Would doing more housecleaning make me regular?” I asked Irene, Judy’s boss, this morning.
   “You better stick to fiber pills,” she said.
  
   And now back to the Ledger-Enquirer. In a TV commercial Wednesday night, the paper ballyhooed its Thanksgiving Day edition. “The biggest paper of the year,” it said. Thursday’s paper wasn’t noticeably bigger than the average weekday paper. In fact, it was hardly noticeable at all; a tiny island of newsprint in an ocean of glossy advertising inserts. But those advertisements didn’t come cheap. The weekday newsstand price for the Ledger-Enquirer is $0.75, and the Sunday paper sells for $1.50. But on Thanksgiving Day the paper sold for $2.00.
  
   After a wait of several months, Beth and Ken finally got some eggs from their chickens. Sure, the chickens laid the eggs, but Beth and Ken did all the work. Please excuse this moment of parental pride. 
  
   The blog madkane.com holds a weekly limerick contest. It provides the first line; you have to do the rest. I’m giving it a shot.
  
   A fellow who wasn’t too bright
   Sat and stared at FOX News each night.
   He watched O’Reilly,
   Always entirely,
   And quoted the blithering blight.
  
   A fellow who wasn’t too bright,
   Thought his wife was pure and upright.
   But the cute, young hussy
   With morals unfussy
   Made love to five men every night.
  
  
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Did I Put the Damn Thing

Russ called Sunday mornin g to ask if I needed anything from Publix. After I read off the few items on my list, he said when he got home he&...